- I recently published an overview of 16 Must-have smart home automation ideas that I run and got a lot of great feedback from you. Many of you asked what are the other cool automation I run on my smart home hub.
- This article is a quick overview of my automation routines that either use an interesting approach to automation, combine different devices or have a genius way to solve annoying problems in life.
- Out of 15 below three are the coolest of the coolest. Those three are great as they really bring up the things l like in smart home automation – the ability to combine devices to make life easier). They help me to make sure that my kids do not forget to do chores (or no internet for them), pause a movie when I get a call (and dim the light when it starts) and remind me that I need to take out the trash bin for collection.
- I split the other 12 routines into four categories to make it easier for you to understand those.
Coolest Of the Coolest
- “No Internet For You!” solves the ultimate issue that many parents deal with. I use Home Assistant boolean switches to make sure that kids contribute to a greater good. As the way to motivate them I just cut off their internet – brutal but effective.
- Pausing a movie when I get a phone call sounds trivial, but it is so cool. I am a keen movie enthusiast and this automation really helps me to enjoy the masterpieces.
- Putting out the waste bin is my responsibility. I am just a human so I forget to do it with some dire consequences. This automation reminds when it is bin collection day to avoid that pain.
- Like many kids, mine really like to listen to music and also some fairy tales. I was using Spotify to play them music building the playlists with songs they like. Finally, I decided to automate it using the RF remote and Chromecast. As a result, my kids can start a playlist, change playlist and start/stop music, etc. Very cool!
- This one just mimicking a Grow-Clock but does it using existing devices. How To Stop Your Kids Waking Up Early automation helped me to get at least an hour extra sleep every day already. Love it.
- This routine is using all the lights in your house and does the impression that you are still at home. This is very efficient to deter criminals
- Fake Dog Barking scares off people who might ring your doorbell to check if you are home. Simple and practical.
- I am otherwise a calm and easy going chap, but I have one that makes me mad – remotes. They are so stupid and easy to automate. I have IR and RF bridges, so I have never used remotes to control my TV, amplifier or AC for the last year.
- I like music but often forget to put it on in the morning and afternoon. Now I use a Chromecast and motion sensor to play my favorite playlists automatically
- I hate alarms and usually wake up grumpy. This simple automation helps me to use natural light to wake up easier.
- I also automated some commuting – if the journey home is significantly longer as per Google Maps I will get a notification. This will help me to use an alternative route or stay a bit later.
- Also related to commuting. I have a color bulb in the hallway so it will light blue if there is a high chance of rain later in the day
- This one is another routine I use with my projector. As soon as I start a projector, my lightning dims (and switch on the amplifier)
- Digital Cuckoo is more for fun – a Cuckoo sound at the beginning of each hour. Pretty cool, no?
- I also installed motion sensor to my cat’s litter so I always know when its time to clean cat’s litterbox. Together with the door sensor this routine really cool to make sure that a litter is clean and tidy.