- Forgetting to close the fride really irritates my wife (which is not great for my mental being and also to my fridge and its contents)
- A simple fix with minimum investment below can really fix this
- This automation can also be applicable to make sure that the entrance doors, drawers are closed also
- Bonus: you can track eating habits of your household members
How Does It Work?
- Trigger: A simple windows/door sensor installed on your fridge door will be reporting the state (open and closed). It will trigger the alarm if the door is open for more than 5 minutes.
- Action: As the general rule, you should employ multiple alert channels where possible. We suggest the following:
- Audio: Your Google Home, Alexa or Chrome cast can play an MP3 or literally remind you to close the door through TTS (something like “Fridge door is open” would work)
- Notification: Send a message to your mobile alerting of the opened door
What Do You Need?
[ninja_tables id="33219" filter='door OR voice' filter_column=device hide_default_filter=yes]
How To Set It Up?
Section below will have step by step instructions how to set this automation routine in the most popular smart hubs like SmartThings, Home Assistant, HomeSeer and Hubitat
Please leave comments below if you have any questions, or interested in the instruction for a specific system. This will help us to better focus our effort.